The Council of Finniah Academies has together with 39 other science academies and councils signed a statement by IAMP (Interacademy Medical Panel) as a call for action to strengthen healthcare for hearing loss.
Hearing loss is a major health issue that continues to receive inadequate attention in many countries. More than 360 million people worldwide suffer from hearing loss, which is strongly linked to cognitive and functional disability in both children and adults.
The statement points out recommendations in five different areas of action:
- Improve healthcare provision
- Ensure public health measures address the causes of hearing loss
- Address hearing loss in both children and adults, acknowledging the differences between these groups
- Address broader societal needs, including education
- Establish research and innovation programmes targeted at hearing loss priorities.
For more information, please see the IAMP statement.